Osteoporosis is a condition that causes a reduction in the density of bone, weakening its
strength and resulting in fragile bones. Osteoporosis leads to abnormally porous bones
that are compressible, like a sponge. This disorder of the skeleton weakens the bone and
results in frequent fractures (breaks) in the bones.
Usually, there are no symptoms in the early stages of bone loss. But once the bones have
been deteriorated by osteoporosis, you may have symptoms that include:
• Back pain, triggered by a fractured or collapsed vertebra
• Gradual loss of height
• A deformed posture
• A bone fracture that happens much more easily than expected
• Poor nutrition & poor general health, especially linked with chronic inflammation
or bowel disease
• When nutrients are not well absorbed from the gastrointestinal system from bowel
• Low estrogen levels in women which could happen in menopause or with early
surgical removal of both ovaries
• Amenorrhea (loss of the menstrual period) in young women is associated with
low estrogen and osteoporosis; amenorrhea can occur in women who undergo
vigorous exercise training and in women with very low body fat
• Chronic inflammation, due to long-lasting inflammatory arthritis or diseases
• Immobility, after a stroke, or from any disorder that causes trouble with walking
Treatment for osteoporosis emphasizes on slowing down or stopping the mineral loss,
increasing bone density, preventing bone fractures, and controlling the pain associated
with the disease.
Also, diet plays an important role in maintaining your bone health. Taking daily calcium
in diet, performing a weight-bearing exercise such as walking or aerobics helps in
improving bone health.
At Adiva Hospitals, we have experienced & skilled orthopedic doctors who can review
your health issues by advising right medication & treatment.